The Daily Ration's Fried Chicken & White Cheddar Grits
The Daily Ration is a breakfast and lunch staple in the Riverview neighborhood (what a coincidence!) of beautiful Chattanooga, TN. Known for one of the city's best patios, families and friends alike travel from throughout the region to kick back for brunch drinks and delicious comfort food year-round. Jason Bowers—owner of the establishment as well as its neighboring sister bar, The Bitter Alibi—was kind enough to share his Fried Chicken and White Cheddar Grits that has been a menu staple for years.
White Cheddar Grits
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of grits
- 1 cup of white cheddar cheese
- 3 oz (6 tbl) butter, melted
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Bring milk and water to boil in a stock pot. Watch carefully so that milk does not boil over.
- Slowly add grits and whisk into liquid. Lower heat and stir occasionally until it thickened.
- Stir in cheese, butter, salt, and pepper. Add more butter and cheese if necessary or you're just feeling cheesy!
- 1.5 lbs of chicken breast (trimmed and hammered thin)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups of vegetable or canola oil
Marinate chicken in buttermilk for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours in the fridge
Dredge chicken in breading until well coated
Fry in 350 degree oil until the center of meat reaches 165 degrees F
Sprinkle with salt after frying